“Birth is like a coastal redwood;
an embodiment of immense physical vitality and emotional growth
rooted in connection, communication, and community.”
– Lou Wickramasinghertz
I have been supporting families as a Birth Coach and Doula since 2017. I just so happened to stumble upon the existence of the birth world that year and ever since then, I have dedicated all of my spare time studying and acquiring certifications in childbirth, postpartum, and parenthood. I grew up surrounded by family and spent most of my youth helping out with my mom’s chronic medical condition, so it seems only natural that I find myself in a field of supporting families and parents as an adult.
I began my birth work journey by way of the Bay Area Doula Training at Birth Coach Method in the Spring of 2017. My first birth experience as a volunteer Doula was profound, to say the least. I immediately recognized all the familiarities between birth support and my upbringing; navigating the medical community alongside my mom, learning the importance of self-advocacy and how to recognize physiological symptoms – these were the essentials of non-medical support and ultimately my mother’s blessing. Being a Doula felt so natural!
I received my certification in the spring of 2018 and established my company, Birth Coach Doula, in dedication to supporting satisfying births however families define them. My belief is that the essence of proper care is keeping integral trust in the birthing body and that everyone should be made comfortable as they embrace the naturality of their vulnerabilities and feelings during birth. In the fall of 2020, I expanded my services to include placenta encapsulation. Placenta encapsulation harnesses the body’s unique remedy to the nutritional and hormonal shifts after birth.
I’m located in the heart of Santa Cruz. I support families as a Birth Coach & Doula all over the South Bay Area and happily deliver placental products to families in Santa Cruz County and western San Mateo County. I count myself as very lucky to have friends and family that remain flexible and supportive in my birth work. On an average day, you can find me crocheting a gift, trying out a new recipe I found online, exploring the west coast, or simply sipping some espresso in the sunshine. I’m a fan of “family meals,” and will always ask you to stay for dinner.
I hold Childbirth and Postpartum Education Certifications from the following:
- Helping Your Clients Make Informed Decisions Workshop by BirthLore, 2021
- Touchstone: Childbirth Educator Facilitator Training with Cornerstone, 2021
- Positive Intelligence Program by Shirzad Chamine, 2021
- HIPPA Privacy Training by OSH Academy, 2020
- California Food Handler Certification by ServSafe, 2020
- Bloodborne Pathogens & Infection Control for Placenta Encapsulators Certification by Biologix Solutions, 2020
- Blood Borne Pathogens by American Red Cross, 2020
- Spinning Babies® Workshop by Gail Tully, 2020
- Comforting Touch for Doulas by Yiska Obadia, 2019
- Ancestral Grief & Ancestral Healing Webinar by Rachelle Garcia Seliga at Innate Traditions, 2019
- Bay Area Doula Training by Neri Choma at Birth Coach Method, 2018